Cryptocoryne tissue culture

Earlier this year I’d posted a number of blog entries documenting my efforts of trying to propagate Cryptocoryne via tissue culture. It’s been quite a learning experience so far and I really do enjoy doing tissue culture at home. Although it seemed tedious at first, with practice and experience, I can go through a set of exercises pretty quickly now.

One of my more successful efforts was trying to propagate C. nurii invitro using seeds to initiate the culture. The seeds proved very easy to sterilize and I had zero contamination and near 100% successful germination of the seeds. However, I did manage to destroy a number of seeds when trying to insert them just under the surface of the gel – which by inexperience I’d prepared to be a little too hard. Lesson learnt!

Below you’ll see some pictures – they’re NOT of the same jar. They’re just some pictures I took that represent the progress of the plantlets.

Here you can see one of the small explants just starting to get larger and divide.
Photobucket

Here I’ve moved some of the plantlets to a fresh medium, and you can see they’re getting larger and division continues.
Photobucket

After a number of weeks, the plants are almost ready to be divided again and placed in fresh media. You can see, some of the plants are dividing up quite nicely.
Photobucket

After further division, you can see the plantlets are really starting to get large now.
Photobucket

This is a good specimen, however, the plant seems to have trouble unfurling its leaves. It’s probably a nutrient deficiency of some kind. However, I’m not too worried about it. This plant will soon be transferred to another medium to try and induce roots (Stage 3). I hope that goes well.
Photobucket

The rest will be subdivided in about 4 weeks into individual jars – roughly 24 plants. The idea is, that another 6 weeks after that, they will be again subdivided – into almost 200 jars! If I continue doing that, the next set of jars would total 1600, and almost 10,000 by the end of this year! You can see how rapidly I’d be able to propagate C. nurii! I’m NOT planning on doing that – I don’t have the space :)

Here’s one last image – Lagenandra meeboldi ‘pink’ invitro. I started off with a single meristem and currently have about 4-5 jars just like this one. I’ll be dividing them up in 4 more weeks into 8-14 jars.
Photobucket